Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Surgery is OVER - Picture Update

The cochlear implant (left side) surgery is OVER!!! Sorry I did not update earlier, but I was a MESS. Here are the pictures of how it went. We go to get the stiches out in about 1 hour.


6:00 am on Tuesday, October 13. Troy was all smiles as he got to play with some bubbles. His mom, dad, Nana, Papa, Pummy and Grandma Kelley were all there.
Right after surgery. It may look like he's smiling, but he's just waking up and crying pretty hard. I was crying pretty hard too...

After 16 hours of not eating, he finally got some glucose water in the recovery room. And then the meds made him pass back out.

Waking up a few hours later in the hospital room, he got his first bites of good food. Some vanilla pudding and crackers (his favorite) were yummy. Too bad he threw it up all over mommy an hour later.


Aunt Coco came over from her job at the other part of the hospital. Troy really was happy to see her, but too tired to deal with company at this point.


Look at the doll Nana brought him. She even put a bandage around it's head so it could be like Troy! I love this picture - so innocent!


Even big brother Dean came up to visit that night. Troy was tired and getting sick of company, but was VERY happy to see his big brother.


He's always happy when his Nana holds him.


Much better now that I threw up again. Notice mommy's change of clothes?


It was night time and I decided I didn't want to go to sleep. I would much rather play in my metal hospital crib.


At 3:00 am I still didn't want to sleep, so nice Nurse Kim decided to take me out to the nurses' station so mommy and daddy could sleep for a while. If you notice the clock in the background (on the wall) says 3:00 am!!


Just as the doctor predicted, the next morning Troy was feeling MUCH better. He would wave out the window inbetween taking bites of Mommy's breakfast.


2 days after surgery mom and dad get to remove my "helmet". I am happy here because Mommy cut my chin strap off.


Showing off my new do. 18 stiches that daddy says "looks like a worm". The incision was much bigger than mommy and daddy thought it would be. They also shaved off more hair than they thought...I didn't have much to begin with!













6 comments:

Lone Star Family said...

So glad to see that his surgery went well. Must have been hard and stressful on you all. I'm already nervous about my little one getting his CI surgery and we still have about 6 more months to go! I look forward to seeing his progress. Best wiishes!

sara said...

I'm still surprised at the different techniques surgeons have for shaving hair or not, which type of stitches, how long to wear the bandage, etc. My surgeon didn't shave any hair at all and used dissolvable stitches (I think! didn't have any taken out) but I had to wear a soft bandage for 5 days after - and the day he took it off is when they activated it!

MB said...

My daughter just had our surgery yesterday. I am very jealous of the head wrap your son got. Ours was tiny and moved around a lot and after 2 hours it was off for good. There's no fighting her. I'm just praying it doesn't get infected.

We also got to stay at the hospital for a whole HOUR after surgery until they booted us out. No overnight for us!

tammy said...

Glad everything went well and Troy is home healing! Aiden had simultaneous bilaterals and he was home that night. We had disposable stitches too, so we didn't have to go back until activation a month later. Can't wait to hear how activation goes!

leah said...

Oh, bless him- anesthesia makes my little guy throw up, too. Now the countdown is on until activation!

Susannah said...

wow! congrats on the surgery- and activation dates! a new and amazing journey is beginning- it is such a miracle. i agree with sara- so many different techniques for shaving/bandages/types of stitches...